Sunday, September 11, 2011

Reading Response 2

I am still waiting on my book in the mail so I am doing the best I can at reading online, which is nearly impossible for me. I have gathered that Armstrong does a great job at explaining the history of Jerusalem in a way that allows for even the most confused student to get a grasp of the intense and interesting history of Jerusalem. I also found it interesting that she included stories from the Bible, as most academic works leave out religion.  This is almost to be expected when discussing Jerusalem because the city is SO deeply rooted in religion.  I very much liked how Armstrong began the book, with the sentence "In Jerusalem... history is a demension of the present." This phrase astounded me and led me to consider the reference of how influenced Jerusalem is by its history.  Day to day life is completely interwoven with the past and that entire thought compels me to believe that Jerusalem is a city that is entirely respectful and knowing of what it has endured.  In the United States, on a day such as September 11th, I can relate to history being a part of the present when I consider how overwhelming the day is.  A random thought, I'll admit, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when considering her statement.  It seems as though the entire city of Jerusalem is deeply connected with the past so much so that it is even referenced as the 'Old City'.  Her book is somewhat slow at times but I appreciate that she discusses the history at a slow pace and allows for people to learn with their reading rather than confusing her readers.

1 comment:

  1. Her book is quite dense with facts, but it is all very interesting. I feel that with a city so saturated with religious importance, an author would be missing a whole side to the issue by leaving out religion. The idea of living in history is something we in the United States sort of miss out on. We have history, but the nation is so young that our idea of 'old' looks like seconds to what is considered 'old' in places like Jerusalem.

    ReplyDelete