Sunday, October 2, 2011

Chapters 16-18

In these last chapters, Armstrong does a good job of further explaining the conflict as well as trying to finish the book in a manner that is respectful to all sides of the arguments.  This part becomes more interesting to me as she moves into present-day Jerusalem from the 1960's and forward.  I think reading this section gave me a deeper understanding of the conflict because it allowed me to see the continuing frustration of all parties as they were consistently unable to live peacefully.

While it seems that the conflicts in Jerusalem may never end, this final section of the book actually showed me WHY the arguments continue.  There is no good way to section Israel into two separate countries. What about the disparity in natural resources (specifically water) as well as the division of the city of Jerusalem, which is clearly a focal point desired by both the Israelis and the Palestinians.

As I consider these chapters with the current Palestinian statehood bid to the United Nations.  Is it possible to section Israel into two equally sustainable states?  As I understand it, the proposition is that the two states would share Jerusalem as their capital.  If this is the case, would anything actually be solved or would the violence be channeled directly into the Holy City?  I don't mean to insinuate that a resolution is impossible, but with centuries worth of grudges, what does it take to put an end to the violence?

The main thing I appreciate about this book is Armstrong's delicacy with *most* subjects and her academic approach to religious topics.  While it can be argued that she may have leaned toward her religious identity, as a Christian/Catholic woman, I believe that she did an excellent job of portraying the material as academic, rather than as religious.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. I can't imagine her being biased. I'm sure there are so biases in there, naturally, but I don't know if I was in her position or had her background if I could discuss such sensitive topics with such objectivity.

    ReplyDelete