Saturday, October 22, 2011

Missed Blogs

Hey guys, I had a medical issue so here is my response to the week:

As for the video conference with the Palestinian student, I felt this was the best video conference so far. In my opinion, it was very useful to speak with someone who is approximately the same age as me and is directly involved in the city of Jerusalem.  In some respects, it felt as though talking to him was like talking to a Palestinian representative of the city.  He made some things clearer for me and helped me understand that no one has a perfect solution for the creation of a peaceful Jerusalem.  I liked this video conference and am glad I was able to partake in it.

Also, I really like the Banksy art on the West Bank. I particularly liked the stencil of the little girl holding on to the black balloons as she attempted to get over the Wall.  This image represents such hope for a brighter future and is a truly peaceful and beautiful piece of art. 

In the article by Peteet, I enjoyed how she described the walls as archeological symbols of the different layers of Jerusalem.  As Peteet focuses on Palestinians' voices of graffiti, it is fascinating that she describes the art as less of a form of deviance and more of an act of expression.  In the US, it is common to associate graffiti with crime and the unwanted and it is less standard to think of the graffiti as artistic expression, as Peteet does in the article. 

For whatever reason, the thought of graffiti in Jerusalem had never occurred to me.  For the most part, I have always considered graffiti to be an element of the uber-urban American lifestyle that is not common in other parts of the world. It was interesting to read otherwise and to understand that graffiti means a lot more to people than just defiance and a quick thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment