Sunday, October 9, 2011

October 9, 2011

After hearing many opinions, both in the classroom and through the readings,  I believe the country of Israel should be split into two states; one Israeli and one Palestinian.  I believe that this course of action would help put an end to some of the long-standing disputes within the area as well as ease political tension within the state.  My only concern is for the division of Palestine as it is being proposed, with two physically separate regions.  There would certainly be disputes among boundary lines as well as fear for those living along these borders.  As it stands, I'm not sure that this physical allotment to the state of Palestine is best for the hope of peace.  While I do understand that Arab people live along the West Bank, I feel like separating Palestine into two chunks would be unsuccessful. 

My proposed idea is to make a state of Palestine that closely resembles the 1947 Partition Plan.  The borders create less severe gaps between the two states as well as allow dual access to the Dead Sea and the Mediterranean Sea.

My only concern for that the city of Jerusalem needs to be shared. It would be better if the 1947 plan was modified so that both Israel and Palestine would have equal political rights the the city.

Proposed boundaries of the Palestinian and Israeli States as of 2011.
File:Is-wb-gs-gh v3.png

1947 Partition Plan
File:UN Partition Plan For Palestine 1947.png

No comments:

Post a Comment